Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Bookmarks aren't syncing with iCloud (Read 43199 times)
Gangee
Ex Member
Re: Bookmarks aren't syncing with iCloud
Reply #43 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jerry.

Surely, I can't be the only "dog person" that came to you all because of the name -- "Bookdog". It may sound odd. But that freaking bark, is important to me.

I don't know if I mentioned, but we're in the mountains, we have two Bullmastiff's. We're dog people, we like "dog companies".

Nuff said.

Thanks again,

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #42 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I understand.  The forcefulness and persuasiveness of the requests we get from users is a factor in deciding what we're going to do next.  As you can see from my response yesterday, Gangee, you've already forced me to think through what needs to be done.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Gangee
Ex Member
Reply #41 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
The whole reason why I signed up with you, was because of the bark.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #40 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Gangee, now that I understand how you're using BookMacster, I think I know why the Bark Hack is not working for you.  Broadly, there are three ways to use BookMacster.  You're doing what we call Usage Style 1, or maybe Usage Style 2, which means that you're syncing with browser(s).  Another group of BookMacster users does what we call Usage Style 3, which means that they never use the built-in bookmarks in their web browsers and instead add bookmarks to BookMacster and visit bookmarks from BookMacster directly, using one of it widgets, bookmarklet, status menulet, dock menu and/or keyboard shortcut.

The Bark Hack replaces the built-in Page Rip sound which BookMacster can make when adding a bookmark directly (Usage Style 3) with a Bark.  I think what you want is to have a sound effect when BookMacster exports to a Client.  This is what Bookdog did.

If I am correct, then you can't have that until we add that feature to BookMacster.  That's possible, now that it looks like we've got this iCloud thing behind us.  But it's got to be considered along with a large pile of other feature requests.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Gangee
Ex Member
Reply #39 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Howdy Jerry,

I did what you said, it's indexing now. So this one is behind me.

But Jerry.

I got to have the Bark back. It's not working.

You want to get a new thread going about this or should I post to my original bark thread?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #38 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
We found a bug or two which caused Agent operations to not trigger automatically for Gangee.  The fix will be in BookMacster version 1.9.3, which we'll probably publish in a few days, probably on the Beta channel.

The problem is that BookMacster's Worker is choking on a garbage file that got stranded after some extraordinary event.  If anyone with this issue really wants a workaround to fix it now, here it is:

• Launch BookMacster.
• Open your Bookmarkshelf with the agent(s) if it does not open.
• Click to the tab SettingsAgents.
• If you're in Simple, switch all the boxes OFF, then switch the ones which were ON back ON.  If you're in Advanced, do the same thing to the Active boxes in the (top) Agents table.
• Navigate in Finder to your home's LaunchAgents, that is,
    ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
• See if you have any files whose name begins with "com.sheepsystems.BookMacster" and has "doSoon" or "doOver" near the end.  For example,
    com.sheepsystems.BookMacster.4299B333-C47D
       -4473-B329-41F43E22E886.000.000.doOver.02523.plist
• If you don't have any such files, the issue may have fixed itself, or it's a different issue.
• If you do have any such files, delete or trash them.

Triggering should start working again after the next time you log out and back in.  Instead of logging out and in, if you know how to use launchctl you can unload the agent(s) whose files were just deleted.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Gangee
Ex Member
Reply #37 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Yes, it is.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #36 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
paul@eagleranch.co wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 8:36pm:
It complained about some permissions

That may be a clue.  Are you working from an Administrator account…

• Click in the menu  ▸ System Preferences.
• Click Users & Groups.
• Is the box "Allow user to administer this computer" switched ON?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Gangee
Ex Member
Reply #35 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Good afternoon Jerry,

Just emailed it to you.

It complained about some permissions, let me know if it didn't gather what you need.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #34 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I see.  Indeed the sort that took place 2 hours later, at 9:47, but it was because you launched BookMacster manually, your Bookmarkshelf opened, and this Bookmarkshelf is set to import, sort and export upon opening.  That is, it finally happened due to your manual intervention.  That's cheating and doesn't count.

In your logs, I see that the Worker process whose ID (PID) is 3242 was invoked this morning at 7:33:40, announced that it was caused by Safari bookmarks being touched, and then disappeared.  When I look through my logs, such a process always logs two more entries: either "Staging job to run at XX:XX" (5 minutes later) or "Job already staged", followed by "Exitting with status 0 (No error)".  PID 3242 should have done this, staging a job to run at 7:38, and the fact that it did not is why sorting did not occur as expected.  I see two other similar PIDs in your log with the same premature terminations, so it was not a fluke and not a system crash.

For some reason, these little staging jobs are getting terminated before they do their staging on your Mac, and that's why your automatic sorts are not working.

Please activate BookMacster, click in the menu Help ▸ Trouble Zipper, and click through it.  If you wouldn't mind Trouble Zipper sending me your data, maybe I could reproduce these premature terminations.

Thanks, Gangee.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Gangee
Ex Member
Reply #33 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Howdy Jerry,

Yes, it was about 7:30am. Here's another screen shot. Looks to me like a sort didn't take place until 2 hours later? And, I did a manual sort, because I have "Auto Export" set to on.

We'll work on the bark next. But I love the bark, Jerry.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #32 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
paul@eagleranch.co wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 4:21pm:
I added two bookmarks over an hour ago, they're added but not sorted.  So now what? I checked the logs, nothing seems to be in there to indicate a sort.

The first two most recent entries in that log (at 7:33:40) indicate that the change to Safari bookmarks was detected, and that Mac OS X launched BookMacster-Worker to do something about it.  So far, so good.

In order to reduce system loading, these logs don't refresh automatically from other processes (that is, we don't use Distributed Notifications).  Click the round "refresh" button in the upper left corner, and we'll probably see more.

Do I need to email you the log?

Either post another screenshot after the refresh, or send me the file…
    ~/Library/Application Support/BookMacster/Logs.sql
whichever you like.

Also, I'm not getting any sounds -- at all. I put the bark file in the folder you said to, it's there. No sounds at all now.

It would be a handy troubleshooting tool for this, but I don't want to troubleshoot two things at once.  Let's just use the logs for now.

Was 7:33 about the time that you added the bookmark which has not yet been sorted?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Gangee
Ex Member
Reply #31 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Jerry,

Here's a screen shot of my log.

Thanks,

IP Logged

Gangee
Ex Member
Reply #30 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Good morning Jerry,

OK. I added two bookmarks over an hour ago, they're added but not sorted.

So now what? I checked the logs, nothing seems to be in there to indicate a sort.

Do I need to email you the log?

Also, I'm not getting any sounds -- at all. I put the bark file in the folder you said to, it's there. No sounds at all now.

= gangee

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #29 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
paul@eagleranch.co wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 2:07pm:
I actually read the help file for the first time. Ask anyone who knows me. If I'm reading the help file, I'm in deep.  Cheesy

Our goal is still for BookMacster to work for 95% of users without ever reading anything other than the "Getting Started" page in the Help Book, and for 50% of users to never even have to do that.  Again, I think the problem is that we got you off on the wrong foot when BookMacster didn't work correctly with iCloud until last week when we published BookMacster 1.9.

The idea is that the Help Book should not say much about how to do common tasks, because those should be intuitively obvious from the user interface.  BookMacster's Help Book does contain a ton of reference information which is of no consequence to the average user.  I refer to it myself when debugging problems, when I forget what BookMacster is supposed to do in some weird corner case.  We try and design from this documentation.

paul@eagleranch.co wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 2:07pm:
Seriously. Thanks for the help. It's a great service, really appreciate the personal touch here.  Thanks man,

Again, thank you for your patience.  I hope that you spend many enjoyable hours with your family and not thinking about bookmarks during your holidays!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint